Friday, March 01, 2013

Redemption

I just finished watching our pastor's (in California) video of coming home with his new baby daughter from the Congo.  His wife and 3 of his daughters hadn't even met this little girl yet, and the look of anticipation is one I know well.  It was the same look my family had back in Dec. of 2011 when we were about to meet our girls for the first time.  Excitement, fear, joy, nerves... all wrapped up into one look.  There is a moment right when you meet that you can feel the redemption. You can feel God's mercy and love for His people. Another friend explains it by saying we are standing on Holy Ground at that moment, and it is so true.

This morning I also heard a song for the first time.  Matthew West's "One Less," and it destroyed me.  The first part of the song says:

There is a child, been abandoned out on the street.  Now she's waiting for someone to be her miracle.  There's a wife somewhere half way around the world begging God for a little girl she can call her own.  Well, worlds collide and colors fade, and a man and wife brought their little girl home today.

You see, I was that wife for years.  Don't get me wrong, I love my boys to death and wouldn't trade them for anything.  But growing up I always wanted four kids... 2 boys and 2 girls.  After we had Devon,  we felt like we were done.  But as the years went on,  I longed for that little girl.  Yet, I had no desire to be pregnant again.  I felt like I went through a major grieving process about not having a daughter, but eventually came to terms with it... Even though I asked God many times to take away the desire, it was still there.  Dormant at times, but still there... Now I know why.  God had a plan bigger than I could ever imagine or dream about.  And He revealed it to us in His perfect time.  

As most of you know, I now do have my 4 kids.  2 boys and 2 girls.  There is a strong, powerful story of redemption that will forever be a part of our story.  Not only for our precious girls, but for all of us.  Are we done yet?  We might never adopt again, but I don't think orphan care is something we can ignore any longer.  It is not a suggestion in the Bible, but a command.  I am just not sure how it will look for us in the future.  But, I am positive God will show us again in His perfect time (He is pretty cool like that!).  After all, we are all orphans, adopted into the family of God.  

"Learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause."  Isaiah 1:17

Here is a link to the song "One Less" by Matthew West... or in our case, "Two Less!"



No comments: